Friday 31 August 2012

Dahab back...

I had planned a little "Dahab bound" post before we left, a little wishlist of sorts for the holiday to come.  As it was, in all the busy hustling before we left, it never got off the ground; and now we're back, our seven days of sundrenched peace quickly becoming the stuff of holiday snaps and fond memories.

It was a lovely holiday though.  People seem a little confused (some, I'd go so far as to say offended) by my lack of things to say about it, but we really didn't do anything much at all.  No one, however interested, wants to hear about my umpteenth fruit cocktail or how the Mocha Milkshake that we had on the last day was just "ahmazin!", or that the sunbeds nearest to our room where lovely, but possibly not as practical (unless you don't mind moving with the sun) as the more exposed ones by the road - not that you really noticed the road at all.  I read eight books and started another (kindle here we come) and the lovely boyf and I got ourselves a rep, being the only couple who were not family, Aussie backpackers, or doing our PADI Open Water course (a very popular past time at the Dahab Paradise), as the dedicated nose-in-book sunbathers.  We were surrounded by genuinely lovely, friendly people; wonderful, wonderful hotel staff; wildlife and stunning scenery.  It was a place that you could sit and look at day after day and still find something new to see; a place where the pace of life slowly winds you in and you learn to just sit back and enjoy; a place where you just let things happen as they do.  No doubt we could have done more, when we go back we may be persuaded to stretch our legs a little more, but for that week we did exactly what we should have done; sat back and let the warmth relax us.

Back home, it's all back to busy.  We have only a couple of days now until the 11yr old officially starts secondary school and all the last minute panic that comes with it.  Not that I am worried about her going to school (ok, I tell a small lie, the small mix up with the school bus application and the prospect of her having to travel alone on public buses for a couple of weeks has me nervous), on the contrary I am more than ready for her to enjoy the structure and responsibility that the change brings!  She seems to be ready for it too, I wouldn't have said as much at the start of the summer, but in the last six weeks she has grown into her new "grownupness", not entirely, but enough.  She's ready, I'm ready; now all I need to do is get to the end of the seemingly endless shopping and to do lists...

And on a final note, the samples were disappointing.  So disappointing!  The grey wool had a herringbone pattern in it that wasn't mentioned in the description and I would never have ordered if it had been.  The grey taffeta was a completely different shade to its photo on the website (a good reason for always ordering a sample).  The "sage" taffeta was also not what I expected; gone where the dark olive tones of the picture, instead it was an insipid mix of washed out lime and a watery blue (again, had I known, I would never have ordered a two-tone fabric).  The black taffeta was the only option, but "light" enough to be see-through if held up to the light.  I have sourced a medium weight alternative but am going to take a trip to the local fabric store first.  They only really stock upholstery fabrics, but I might get lucky; I really would like to find a dark grey...

Oh, final, final note.... the Halloween invitations have (finally!) been started... I am so behind schedule this year it's almost scary; I am even secretly pleased that the 11yr old wants to go shop bought as opposed to home made, as I have a feeling I'll have enough to do to get myself sorted out in time.  The big question though (hopefully, not giving too much away) is by what method (one that keeps a years worth of sewing intact!) will I fake my demise?  All suggestions welcome :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Lucy Green. Powered by Blogger.